Hyatt Plaza, Doha, Qatar
Talbot Consultants International Inc. were retained by Dar Al-Handasah to provide specialist retail consultancy services for the expansion of Hyatt Plaza. The existing major anchors of the development are a Hypermarket of over 11,000m², a themed Children’s Entertainment area of 3,500m² and a food court. The existing Mall had been in operation for approximately one year but demand by retailers was such that an immediate expansion of the centre was required. Our tasking included:
- Identification of key opportunities and constraints to development
- Advice on the preferred tenant mix for future expansion
- Expansion potential of the existing Hypermarket and children’s entertainment area.
- The preferred circulation pattern within the extended mall
- The preferred phasing of the new extension
- The rearrangement of service access requirements for the phased expansion and modification to services requirements for existing tenants.
Our subsequent recommendations were for a two phased expansion each of 40,000 m² with the first phase to be anchored by a 10,000 m² furniture store with the adjacent retail being focussed on housewares and family & children’s fashions and the second phase to be anchored by a 10 screen multi-plex with the adjacent retail being focussed on entertainment and youth fashions. Our “Retail Action Plan” recommended that the Phase 1 expansion be carried out concurrently with the expansion of the hypermarket and children’s Entertainment area and that the linkages between the existing development and the two expansions be made as seamless as possible.